POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
18 May 2024 15:36:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: scott
Date: 28 Feb 2005 06:09:53
Message: <4222fc01$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:
>> POV is not suitable for creating most models, the main problem I
>> find with using CSG is that it is very hard to produce rounded edges
>> on anything but very simple shapes.  Rounded edges go a long way to
>> make the difference between photorealistic and "computer generated"
>> IMHO.
>
>   Just because St. says that povcomp was a "CSG-only" competition
> doesn't make it so.

Of course, but I understood the competition was about creating a world class
*image* using POV.  If this really was the case, the judges should have
judged the images with no knowledge of how it was created.  Of course
afterwards they can check that is was actually created in a way that
complied with the rules, but *how* it was created shouldn't have affected
the judging or the comments if it was truly an "image" competition, and not
a "scene" competition.

But as I said, maybe I misunderstood (most likely) and there was some
element of creating a good "scene" as well as a good final image.  I was
under the impression it was to show off to non-POV people how good an image
POV can create.